Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Oldest Photograph in Our Family

Isabella Walmsley

I ran across this old picture the other day and decided to put it on the blog. This is Isabella Walmsley, an immigrant from Staleybridge England, a village on the outskirts of Manchester. She came to the United States about 1848 when she was eighteem years old. She is a direct ancestor on the Flanders side of the family and, of course, the source of the unusual "Walmsley" name that appears several times in our family.

  • Isabella married Charles Flanders

  • - Charles Clark Flanders

  • - - Charles Lorenzo Flanders

  • - - - Charles Walmsley Flanders

  • - - - - Ida Narcissus Flanders

There are a lot of "greats" in her relationship to those who call me Grandpa. She looks to be in her fifty's in this photograph so it was probably taken in the 1880s'

3 comments:

Julie Hayes said...

I never knew that Grandma's name was Ida Narcissus. I always thought it was Ida Nar.

The picture is really cool. I'm glad you are sharing our geneology here.

Anonymous said...

Ida Nar Flanders? Forrest lane high school Dallas tx. 1934...? If so, contact me. I found a Lit book with her name and OLD phone # in it in my things. curmill@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

In my attic in Winnsboro.....curmill