Monday, June 30, 2008

James Edward Flanders online publication


Yesterday I completed the online publication version of the research on James Edward Flanders I've been engaged in off-and-on for the last 25 years or so. Acknowledgements and notes are not yet published. For those of you that don't know, he was an ancestor. He was my great-great-grandfather's brother. (Mom remembered him and used to call him uncle Jim.)

The picture above is a Flanders architectural drawing from about 1909. The subject is the Los Flanders Apartments on the corner of Jackson and Pearl streets in Dallas. The house to the left is his house.

Flanders can be called Dallas' first architect (click on the picture and read the page) and he was a prominent architect throughout the state. He is of interest to many people in the field of Texas history and many of them have encouraged me and helped me on the project.

I suggest that family members read the introduction and perhaps the brief chapter on the Texas State Fair to get an idea of who this man was. You may also want to take a look at Chapter Eight on churches. He designed over 125 of them and many are still around.

1 comment:

Bambi said...

I've really enjoyed reading through this so far. I'm not done but will finish this. His buildings were so beautiful and it's sad that there are so few left.