Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Who is Jonathan Carter Cudd?

A few days ago I gave myself a project of finding a Civil War ancestor for the Hayes family. I didn't suceed. I'm at a real dead-end on Jimmy's grandparents and I'm going to have to talk to Jimmy and see what he can tell me to get me by the impasse. I didn't find a Civil War ancestor on Margarets side either but I did work back to Jonathan Carter Cudd which is from Margaret's mothers family. The relationship is:

Jonathan Carter Cudd
> Carter C. Cudd
>> Joshua R. Cudd
>>> Robert Goodloe (Goodlow?) Cudd
>>>> John B. Cudd
>>>>> Elsie F. Cudd
>>>>>> Margaret Ann Miller
>>>>>>> James Roy Hayes

Jonathan Carter Cudd is a Revolutionary War ancestor for the Hayes family. His pay records appear in Loyalists in the Southern Campaign of the Revolutionary War by Mutie June Clark published in 1981 by the Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. of Baltimore. In the earliest record, the six month period ending in December, 1780 he was listed as serving in "Colonel John Cotton's Regiment, Stevenson's Creek Militia, Ninety Six Brigade, Captain John Cotton's Company, those who came to Orangeburgh, SC, with Lieut. Colonel John H. Cruger"

The links to him aren't certain enough to get you a membership in the DAR but I'd say they have a better than 90% chance of being correct. The family is from South Carolina and the earliest primary source record I can find is the listing for Jonathan's grandson Joshua Robert Palmer Goodlow Cudd in the 1840 census of Union, South Carolina.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is neat, I have always been curious about the ancestory on the old mans side of the family (you've provided plenty on Ma's side) and now I know a little bit more. James

Anonymous said...

can you get in the DAR if he fought as a "loyalist"?