Monday, July 25, 2011

Another old report card



A few weeks ago I posted a few school report cards of a couple ancestors. I discovered this one today and decided to post it.  It is my own second grade report card from 1948 - thanks mom! 

The top part is the front and back (it folds).  Notice that the handwritten part says that I had a "grade equivalent of 4.2"  - at the end of my second grade year.  I was pretty smart way back then!  Also - we were graded on nine traits of "Citizenship" - and, of course, I got the top mark in all of those.

In the other section the grading is interesting.  It shows how many kids in the class, how many got A's, how many got B's, etc. Then your own grade was circled in red.  That really gives some good information! (And you'll see all A's circled - but from the looks of things that really meant that I was not in the bottom quarter or so.)  The "Explanation of Marks" isn't exactly accurate - "C" was not "Average", in actuality, "C" (in most cases) was the lowest 5-10%!

The other interesting thing to me are the subjects - Arithmetic, Drawing, and then "Language & Grammar", "Reading", "Spelling & Phonics", and "Writing".  Also "Music" for which we were not graded.

This is where I went to school in grades 3-6.  The 2nd grade building was behind this one and in the 7th grade I moved to the building visible to the right.  In the 8th grade we moved to a new campus.

No comments: