Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bilbo Baggins

Good for you if you know Bilbo!

This started out when Glynda and Jill were talking about what the kids wanted for Christmas. Ren wanted the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I was glad to hear about that, being a long time time Tolkein fan. So we decided to get that and Jill then volunteered to do the purchasing since she was buying some things from Amazon and already knew what they had available.

Then I started thinking and decided that Ren should really start with The Hobbit, for both the easier reading book and the background it provides for the trilogy. Since I didn't know if the set Jill was buying included The Hobbit, I went out and bought it - brought it home - started leafing through it - and before long I was reading it. I got half way through it before I had to wrap it up two days later to take to Ren. However, I left the book in the car when we got there in hopes that it wouldn't be needed - and it wasn't. The set that Ren opened contained all four books. We told him about The Hobbit (he wasn't familiar with it) and when we left to go home he was already reading it! And when I got home from work the next evening, I unwrapped the back-up and resumed my reading.

No comments: