Friday, July 25, 2008

Family History Lesson - The Revolutionary War



The picture is "The Surrender of Burgoyne" that took place after the Battle of Saratoga. Our ancestor Levi Flanders fought in this battle.


Sometime people want to know if any of their ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War. Just so you know, three of our ancestors took part in that conflict.

On the Willis side - You've probably seen the picture of Montreville Willis that I have. He was my great grandfather. His father was George Willis.

The father of George's wife, Anna, was "from Ireland and fought in the Revolutionary War".

George's father, Benjamin Williston, also fought in the Revolutionary War.

The source for both of these is an account of Montreville that appeared in a book called "Biographical Souvenir of the State of Texas" published in 1889. See T-AH2.

The most complete, and recognized, documentation is on the Flanders side - Levi Flanders. His relation to me is a grandfather with four "greats" on it. Levi > Enos > Charles Clark > Charles Lorenzo > Charles Walmsley > Ida Narcissus > me.

Levi Flanders fought from 1775 to 1778 and he took part in The Battle of Saratoga.

The source for this is a 1914 application to the Daughters of the American Revolution for a person down another line from Enos. I've checked out the data on the application and, with minor corrections, it's valid. It includes information about his pension application that was granted based on his war record.

1 comment:

Julie Hayes said...

Wow. It seems quite remarkable that Levi Flanders, a man who is a mere 6 "greats" from me, fought in a war that defined our country. I feel so removed from the Revolutionary war, but when I consider this relatively short ancestral separation, I realize that I am much more connected to this pivotal point in history than I feel that I am. Thank you Grandpa for the history lesson and the life perspective.