Monday, July 13, 2009

More learning about plants - Echinacea





One of the things I've learned this year is that you can't really rush mama nature. Professional growers do it but, unless you've got controlled environments, the plants are gonna do what they're gonna do. I planted some echinacea (purple coneflowers) seeds in February. These were planted inside and were within the specified 6-8 weeks before the last frost. They were suppose to bloom within 60-90 days. I got my first blossom today!

The pictures are the stages of a blossom. The top picture taken today, the next one yesterday, the next one on the 8th, and the bottom one was taken 10 days ago. The good news is that we have LOTS of blossoms at stage one. In ten days we should have many flowers. The foliage alone is very attractive, a nice dark green and the plant is a perennial. I'm guessing that it will bloom a lot sooner next year. It's also considered to be a wildflower.

No comments: