Thursday, June 3, 2010

Found this on the internet - gotta post it!


Facebook and the page "Irving Texas, Hey I grew up there" has brought back some old memories recently, a few contacts with old friends, and a link to this picture (and others). It's my fourth grade class - Mrs. Powell's class. I'm second row from the back on the far right side and I'm sitting next to Lois Copeland which was an envied place to be at the time. However, my true love was Pat Rogers! She's the one on the second row with her arms folded - towards the center of the picture. "Her hair hung down in ringlets" - but then you probably don't remember the song that had that in the lyrics. Pat lived in the neighborhood a couple blocks away and for several years she was my partner in the square dance group that met at our house on Third Street. A few years later she was adopted by her new father, her last name changed to Robinson, and she moved away and out of my life forever! The guy sitting on the other side of Lois was named Forrest Weaver and we called him "Woody". There's a pharmacy in Tyler named "Woody Weaver's Pharmacy". I keep telling myself to stop in there someday - it's not a common name.

(Just a warning - I've been thinking about documenting some of that early life in the 40's and 50's in Irving so you might see some more posts like this before too long.)

One more thing under the category of "how do they do that?". It's about an hour since I published this post. I've been doing a few Google searches on things that appear in the post. In this short time, in the Google searches I'm getting hits on my post. In less than an hour Google has found my post and has it indexed in many ways and is returning it in searches. How do they do that?

No comments: