Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Blossoms we haven't had before

I'm trying a few new plants this year just to learn more and change up the appearance of the landscaping.  Most were started in the greenhouse earlier.  Some winners, some losers.  But it's been interesting.
Mirabilis, or Four O'clock.  The blooms are not open here because it wasn't yet 4:00 when I took the picture.

Cleome - A really interesting blossom.  I've got a dozen or so of these.

Datura - no blossom yet but you can see it's almost there.  It will be white and trumpet shape and large! I had a low germination rate in the greenhouse and then lost most of the ones I eventually planted in the garden.  I can do better next time.

Crinum - This is the first year it's bloomed and it's not completely opened here.

A new zinnia with an unusual color mix.

Cosmos - Suppose to thrive on neglect and I've got two beds outside of the normal watering zone so I'll see how they do.  So far - OK!

No comments: