Thursday, June 2, 2011

Old papers from mom

I was looking for something today that led to digging out an old box I'd never gone through before.  There were lots of old papers from stuff mom had kept.  There are a number of report cards from my grandfather (Flanders) showing that he attended both Columbian and Colonial Hill schools in Dallas in the 1900's and that he made B's and C's, seldom tardy but absent a couple days each semester, and was basically a good boy.  But the oldest document is the one here.  It's his mother's (my great grandmother's) report card from North-Western College in Naperville, Illinois, dated December 14t 1878.  That's a rare find!!  There are a number of things I'll need to scan and get into the genealogy software.

OK - this is pretty funny.  After posting the above I started looking at my grandfathers cards.  On this one the last two grades in "deportment" are 4.s - that means bad.  At the bottom of the card there's a note.  It says "If Charles does not stop playing and put his mind to his work, I fear he will fail in June".  If you look at the parents signatures on the card, the last one is different and looks very much like it was written by a child and is in pencil!
 

I'm not sure what the teachers problem was.  He was making mostly B's and even got his first A's in Arithmetic. He did drop down to C's in Reading and Writing.  I think this is the third grade.  Note that the report card is from the Columbian school.  That was a James E. Flanders building.  Check the link for a picture of it in my JEF online book.

No comments: