Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Beaver Dam

This is pretty interesting! I took the first picture here a couple months ago. I'd decided that it would be a relatively easy thing to do to build a small dam where the big root crosses the creek (at the bottom of the picture). It looked like two feet high would be about right to get the water level to the right height relative to the pier - that you can see in the upper part of the picture.




In the picture below, you can see the dam exactly where I planned to build it. A couple differences. (1) I didn't build it. The beaver did. (2) It's not two feet high. It's about three feet high. Notice that you can't see the pier. It's underwater again and will stay that way for a awhile. (The reason the water is at the same height on both sides of the dam is that he built another one a bit downstream at the same height. There's a big difference in the water level there.)
Thanks Mr. Beaver! (I think.)


No comments: