Saturday, October 31, 2009

More on our Wildflower Meadow


One of the tasks I've taken on at the Wildscape at the Nature Preserve is keeping weeds off the (crushed granite) walkways. The other day when I was there I noticed a bunch of bluebonnets coming up in the walkways from seed that was dropped as we were cleaning the old plants out a few months ago. So I went out today and harvested some of those and transplanted them to the meadow. At the same time I picked some seed heads from four other types of plants and at this stage I don't even know what some of them are as nothing is left except the seeds. I'll plant this mix tomorrow. (There were lots of butterflys at the Wildscape today!)

I started to buy some Indian Paintbrush seeds from the Wildflower Center in Austin last week but did not because they were charging almost $12 to ship a $5 pack of seeds - about $18. I did a little more internet shopping and found another Austin company where I was able to get two $5 pack of seeds shipped to me at the same total cost - $18. When I received the seeds I discovered that they were actually from a grower in OK. I found their website and the exact same seesd were $2. I bought four packages and, with shipping and no tax, paid $12. If the Wildflower Center had not been so totally ridiculous on their shipping charge I would have never found the better place. And it really disappoints me that this greed is interferring with the mission of the center. Sorry Lady Bird!!

Glynda and I also spent a little time in the Treehouse this afternoon enjoying the weather, a glass of wine, and some Neil Young.

2 comments:

Bambi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bambi said...

It makes you wonder how often that same thing happens with other purchases we make...

I love your picture. When I first looked at it with tired eyes tonight it looked 3 dimensional. Pretty cool effect!
I also accidentally posted with my password the first time. I think it's time to go to bed...