Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Just finished Ken Follet's "World Without End"



Like "Pillars of the Earth", another 1000 pages plus book and now it's done and I can't read it for the first time again. Also, with the reading of this one, that's now true of all twenty of his novels. I've read them all and now have to find another author to read. However, when I discovered Follett I'd just finished reading all of Greg Isles' works and was looking for someone to replace him. Maybe I'll be lucky again. Any suggestions?

I didn't even know that "World Without End" was out there until I found it digging through the shelf at the Mineola library. It's a sequel to "Pillars of the Earth", takes place in the same English town in the early fourteenth century, and the main characters of the book are descendants of the characters of "Pillars". In addition to a good story, the pages are full of English history - not so much specific events but rather the way people lived, what they ate, what their daily lives were like, and what the roles were of the ruling class and the church.

One of the things I like about Follett is that he's not a formula writer. You don't pick one of his novels up expecting Jack Ryan to be the hero or even to expect a mystery, or a particular time period, or anything at all related to the last one you read. His research is evident and makes for a more compelling story every time.

Just looked again at his website and there is one new novel "Fall of Giants", the first of a trilogy, and "Pillars of the Earth" is being made in a TV mini-series set to show in June so there's more Ken Follett to experience soon!

1 comment:

Bambi said...

Now I want to read Pillars of the Earth before I watch it and then I want to go to Austria to see the castles it was filmed in!!!