Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Well ain't that the pits!?!?!


Last year I did OK with my onions - enough so that I was able to hang three bunches in the garden shed and go get some when we needed them well into winter. This year I did everything right! I even planted three varieties - lots of onions! But now they are all going to seed before they get very big at all! I arrived early to help set-up a master gardeners lunch today and talked to the county agent (who was there with his brisket) about the problem. He says that he's getting calls every day from people with the same problem. The late cold weather combined with all the rain is the cause. There won't be any onions around east Texas this year - except for one of the professional growers who was smart enough to know what was going to happen and planted a crop later. Glad he's a friend! I guess I'll be like the Mavs and wait 'til next year.

No comments: