Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hummers - Close-Up!


We've seen pictures of hummingbirds feeding from people's hands and I decided to see how close our hummers would let me get to them. I've done that a couple times and the answer is "very close!". Glynda took these pictures through the kitchen window while I stood by the feeder. The feeder is about a foot from my face and in the top picture the hummer is about the same distance. In the second picture, he was way to close for me to be able to focus on him. It's a close to nature experience! I've felt the wind from their wings as they fly past my face. (Not picking on you Julie - this just happens to be a bird thing.) One other point. I decided to take the pictures, set-up the camera, went outside for less than five minutes, and the pictures were done!

1 comment:

Bambi said...

I have a certain fascination with hummingbirds and have been debating on putting a feeder in my backyard. When the whole family went to CO together there was a feeder at the cabin we stayed in and we had lots of very close up moments with them as well.